Meat Week 2022: Two Hats Ranch Venison Wellington
Trying to decide what to cook this weekend? We have you covered with this Venison Wellington from Two Hats Ranch.
Two Hats Venison Wellington
- 3 pounds venison, strap, trimmed and cut into 2 pcs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 pieces puff pastry, rolled out
- 8 ounces prosciutto, or thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 ounces mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 pound onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 1/2 ounces butter
- 2 each eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Sautee onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add garlic and thyme and sautee a couple minutes more.
- Sear trimmed Venison on all sides, 2 minutes per side. Brush with dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to rest
- Roll out puff pastry on a floured surface large enough so it will wrap the venison on all sides. Place a layer of prosciuto or deli ham over the puff pastry. Spread the sauteed mushroom and onion mixture over the ham and place the venison on top.
- Fold the puff pastry up over the venison so the seam is in the middle. Roll the wellingon over so the seam is on the bottom and carefully place on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Scramble the eggs and water to make an egg wash and brush over the puff pastry. Use a fork to poke holes in the top or cut a couple small slits in the pastry to vent steam.
- Place the wellingtons on the middle rack and roast for 30 minute or until pastry is golded brown.