Julie Golob’s Venison Heart Recipe
Recipe Corner: Venison Heart
Slicing this organ meat thinly is key to keeping it tender and absorbing just the right amount of flavor. Many find that the heart has a mineral taste they do not enjoy. The combination of garlic, lime and salt take that edge off and also help to keep the slices nice and tender.
Julie Golob's Deer Heart Cheese Toast
- 3T Avocado Oil (or low smoke point oil)
- 2T Lime
- Pinch of salt
- 2T minced fresh garlic
- 1 Cup shredded Dubliner cheese
- 1 Deer heart, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 slices of bread
- Mince fresh garlic then finely slice your cleaned deer heart. Whisk together 2T of the oil, lime juice, salt and garlic in a glass or ceramic bowl large enough to marinade the meat. Add the heart and stir until incorporated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Remove the heart from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you plan to cook.
- Shred the cheese. Turn the oven on to the broiler setting. Pop the bread into a toaster and toast until nicely browned. Place the toast on a cookie sheet and distribute the cheese onto the toast.
- In a large skillet (cast iron recommended), use the remaining oil and heat on high heat until the oil is shimmering. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and then add your heart to the skillet, spreading it evenly throughout the pan. Let it get a good sear before stirring. The heart will cook quickly.
- Check on your toast and remove from the oven when the cheese has melted. Scoop the meat onto the toast and serve.